Subscribe Now

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ted Baker's new Ottoman empire


I swear I only popped into the launch of Ted Baker's new Ottoman Lounge in central London to show a face and to blag a light beard trim. About two hours later I emerged into the late evening sun, blinking, woozy, a lot spaced out. That's the kind of effect "magic hands" Ergun, one of Ted's team of charming Turkish barbers, has on a man.

To explain: I got the beard trim all right (and very pleased with it I am, too), but then found myself talked into having a shampoo, like you do. Only shampoo doesn't begin to describe the pummelling, kneading and trance-inducing massage that go into a hairwash in Ergun's hands. It's more like schmeissing (Google it!) than anything you might get down at Greek Tony's in the parade. Schmeissing or being shoved through a carwash.

Still, I'm not complaining. It was all very invigorating, Ergun blow-dried my fringe into something like Phil Oakley's circa Mirror Man , a nice woman from Essex saw to my nails as Ergun did his stuff, and two days later I was back - this time for a pedicure and blissful facial, which was so relaxing that I nodded off.

If you're the type of man who disapproves of facials on moral grounds, the walk-in Grooming Room upstairs, which has been open a few years now, might be more your thing. It's all very blokey, with men flicking through copies of Nuts or talking about football as they wait for a crew cut. But the new bit downstairs, the Ottoman Lounge, whose opening coincides with the launch of a new range of Ted Baker grooming products, is appointments only and markedly more metrosexual, though they'll still flame your ears if you want them to. Prices start at £30 for the Ted's Shaving Grace package, which includes a full-on shave with hot towels etc and a massage and manicure. Oh, and as much Turkish coffee as you're man enough to drink.

PS Check out the ziegler "rugs" in the photo, which are actually images laid into the resin floor. Clever or what?

Ted's Ottoman Lounge and Ted's Grooming Room, 31 Theobalds Road, London WC1 (020 7831 6463; tedsgroomingroom.com )


Via: Ted Baker's new Ottoman empire

0 comments:

Post a Comment